Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Wen: Dinner attempt #3

Wow, I've become so self sufficient it's ridiculous. Just kidding, but I am pretty proud of the fact that this is dinner #3... the third of many dinners I will be cooking for myself.

I can't believe how much I've learned about living on my own since coming here! Less than a week ago, I didn't even know how to stir-fry, now I'm making random concoctions that I think are taste pretty delicious!

Judy showed me how to cook rice tonight and that was so helpful! I'm going to end up cooking rice then freezing small portions. This way, I won't have to keep going back to boiling rice etc.

I cubed the chicken (which was previously frozen) and browned it in the pan, making sure to add some water so the chicken breast (which I bought on sale) wouldn't dry out. Then I put it aside in the bowl. Next was the garlic, then the 1/3 of a tomato then the diced up red bell pepper, which is called "Capsicum" (more accurate scientific name) here and sauteed it for a few minutes. Then I added the chicken and "voila"!

As I write this blog post, I am eating this delicious dish. Yeah, so nice balance of carbs and protein! It takes a while, but it's so good... and healthy!

Enough about food. So, I went to UQ today to get my schedule sorted out. I took the bus this afternoon and the bus driver seemed okay. But on the return trip, the bus driver was sort of nasty and rude. So, I've realized that Australians fall on two ends of the spectrum... either they're really nice and friendly or they seem to be pissed at you. Anyway, I went to get my classes straightened out but maybe I'm used to being at UConn where they hand everything to you, but I felt like I was really lost! Hopefully I've figured everything out for Monday.

In the meantime, I'm excited for tomorrow's Market Day, which is like UConn's Activities fair for campus clubs and organizations. Hopefully I can meet more people!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment