Saturday, February 27, 2010

Wen: Australian Things

So, I've compiled a list of "Australian" things that I've seen here.

This drink is called Berocca and apparently it's just a bottle of water, except there's a tablet with vitamins and orange flavoring.  It's carbonated so that when you twist open the bottle, it drops in the water and dissolves.  Pretty cool, I guess.
I haven't seen it before in the US, but maybe I'm just not cool enough to be familiar with all the current drink varieties.










So, Dane and I got take out last night from this place called the Noodle Box.  Apparently it's quite popular with youth and adults here.  I've seen ads for it on TV.  I'd say that it's similar to ummm.... maybe Taco Bell?  But probably like 90% less processed and 99% less carcinogenic.  Oh, this food is also not a laxative.
It's basically noodles stir-fried with meat and "Asian" veggies.  Haha... this little baby, which was probably around a pint, was 8+ dollars. Wtf.. yeah so at home it might be 5+ dollars.  Yes, people, food is much more expensive here.





I also thought I'd talk about the Go Card... just because all students pretty much need one when they get here.  Public transportation is so important.  Of course, I'm not really used to it, because even the hobos of CT have a car... jk.
But, I'm glad they rely so much on public transport!  Not glad that it's $1.30 one way to UQ!
Their buses run on natural gas, so emissions are quite clean and don't eff up the environment.




I'm sure many people have heard of Australian "Vegemite".  It's made by Kraft, with was surprising, because I never see it in the US.  And apparently when it is sold in the US, Kraft takes the logo off.  I now understand why.
I blogged before about it and how it tastes like solid soy and I started gagging... well anyway, it's potent.
It's made from "brewer's yeast extract" so basically all the stuff that was leftover from making beer, they made into Vegemite.  Cool!
Haha... fantastic.  Maybe I will learn to love this stuff.  Probably not.



Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment