Sunday, January 17, 2010

Jen: Getting in the habit


Ok, so I decided it would be a good idea to get in the habit of posting everyday. Also, I will start my posts with "Jen:" in order to separate easily which posts are mine from which are Wenhui's.

So today was an almost productive day. I found two shuls that I can go to while I am in Paris that are within 15 minutes walking distance and one kosher restaurant. Score. I also have been running through my "french for dummies" book and tapes... and it's pretty cool. I'm actually really enjoying faking a French accent. Except I have realized that there are some words that I will just never be able to pronounce. One example: traduire. It means to 'translate.' ...so I will have to take the long route and ask people to 'say it in English.' So it is.


I have done no packing at all whatsoever. I have done a lot of thinking about how there is no way to pack my life into one suitcase. It makes me want to basically pack nothing, because I realize either way I will not have everything. I feel like I have enough MCAT books alone to fill half a suitcase. :/

I have also watched more episodes of "the riches" and "the office" in the past 24 hours than perhaps anyone should watch in a lifetime. Meh, I take it back, those are both awesome shows. Point is I should be getting ready to leave, not browsing Hulu.

I am getting a little nervous about my internship because the advisor guy hasn't been returning my emails. I guess I will show up at the door once I get to Paris if I have to. :/

OMGOSH. I am going to be NOT in America in a week... for months... it's just weird (yes I realize that sounds very American...). It still hasn't really hit me that I will not be in the US. It's easy to be excited about leaving the country, but a bit harder to get used to the idea that it is for more than a week or two. I have to say I don't really know what to expect. For instance, I have heard that they eat a lot of bread and cheese and drink wine... I feel like that is more a stereotype than a fact, but who knows. Perhaps I will be munching on lots of cheese.

Also, people say that the French, especially those in Paris, all know English. I'm really hoping that I will know enough French that they will see that I am trying, and then pity me, and then speak slower or switch to English. I have mixed feelings though... after going over French all day, I kind of want to get good enough to actually hold a conversation in French... it would be cool to be proficient in another language... and not have that thing like in Israel where they hear my American accent and IMMEDIATELY switch to English. It would be good to practice in real situations... I can't decide whether I would rather be forced to practice French or have it easy and have people switch to English... a balance would be nice.

So far this seems like my blog... but no worries, soon I will get Wenhui to post for real if it's the last thing I do!!!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment