Sunday, April 25, 2010

Wen: ANZAC Day Aboriginal Cultural Experience and BBQ

Today was an absolutely amazing experience! Ling and I went to the Quest sponsored ANZAC Day celebration at Kangaroo Point.

Here's the Wikipedia explanation of ANZAC Day:
"Anzac Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who died and served in military operations for their countries. Anzac Day is also observed in the Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa and Tonga."

We passed a maritime museum and I took a picture with a turbine or something.










When the Aboriginal dances asked for volunteers to dance with them, I naturally said I would do it. It was pretty easy, but I managed to do it wrong considering I'm super uncoordinated and it was painful jumping around with bare feet.













At the BBQ, they had kangaroo and crocodile meat! The kabob I'm holding has two pieces of kangaroo meat and one piece of crocodile meat. The kangaroo meat tasted like a mixture of lamb and liver. The texture was very much like liver. Yum... jk.
The crocodile meat was like fish but much chewier. It wasn't like fish that would just break apart in your mouth.
Apparently the crocodile meat was $40 AUD for half a kilo!

The red stuff on the plate next to me is actually beets, or they call it beet root. Australian add it to lots of stuff, like sandwiches and burgers. It's actually pretty good as an addition.

I'm also wearing contacts to try out. They're okay, but not THAT great... but it's nice not smudging my glasses all the time.



We climbed this awesome tree at the BBQ park and I was afraid I was going to fall off. Nevertheless, it was an awesome tree. I couldn't remember the last time I climbed a tree.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. First it's the crocodile, then the kangaroo. Then before you know it you'll be eating dingo and koala.

    ReplyDelete